Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dad Day

For those of you scoring at home, yes, this was my first Father's Day.  As I began it at 12:18am this morning, it occurred to me that I had yet to weigh in (through this public forum) on the last 10 weeks of our family's life.  Early on I was asked quite frequently how parenthood was treating me, and never one to be without an analogy, I likened it to golf.  I felt I could spent an entire day shooting bad shots, but then there was that one shot that made it all worth it.

I could spend an entire day like this
but then something like this would make it all worth it.

And I continue to stand by that analogy, although I have definitely never golfed this many days in a row!

We were fortunate to ring in this particular holiday with good friends yesterday as I did the fatherly thing and fired up the grill.  My beautiful wife and (Brian's as well) saw to it that we had something sweet to finish off the proceedings.

And on the note, I cannot go any further without thanking all of the folks that so graciously showered us with help upon Amelia's arrival.  Until you find yourself in that position there is no way you can comprehend the value of a warm meal.  I must say that after twice-a-week meals for 6 weeks, I have become quite the connoisseur of enchiladas.  In all seriousness, thank you Stevens (for coordinating), Stones, Janelles, Nyes, Thomases, Richardsons, Hollands and Diazes. 

And in the topic of thankfulness I find the most obvious place to end.  Days spent in Missouri were quite an opportunity to share in the blessing of a life beginning.  I am so grateful for the many family members that went out of their way (in some cases, states away) to congregate around and celebrate with us.  It also put into perspective the amount of work my beautiful wife is selflessly putting in on a daily basis as it would take at least one grandma and multiple aunts to fill in for her the few times we snuck away.  She makes it look so easy, much like a pro golfer would.


No comments: