Thursday, May 2, 2013

Some thoughts on being a mom...

There have been few moments throughout my life as sweet as the last 4 weeks spent cherishing my new daughter. The day I married Chris was a very special day, and I vividly remember memorable days growing up when my parents made me feel selflessly loved and extra special in unique ways. One of my favorite moments with Amelia was right after she was born, Chris stood beside me with his hand on her head, and said to her, "There is nothing in the world that you could ever do to make us quit loving you."

In that moment my worlds collided - it was the combination of the selfless love my parents had shown me my entire life, and the overwhelming love of and for my husband, showing endless love for our precious daughter. It took experiencing it firsthand to truly understand how for all these years, there was nothing in the world that I could do to lose the love of my parents, a phrase I have heard them say to us hundreds of times, but could never really comprehend. Growing up I thought surely there is SOMETHING I could do that would be so terrible, they would want to disown me, right? Nope, nothing and 27 years later, I finally get it.

And I feel like in experiencing this love for my daughter, I can finally understand, and accept, what God has been promising all these years. There is nothing I have ever done or could ever do to lose His love - He loves me, and you, endlessly for all eternity. Just incredible, and so powerful. If it has only been 4 weeks and I am already having these life changing epiphanies, imagine what a lifetime as as parent has in store for me.

1 comment:

Faulkner's Ranch said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Isn't it amazing? Everything you said rang so true. I love what you said about it opening your eyes to God's love. Someone once told Ben that it takes becoming a parent to truly understand God's love for us and that is so true. After having McCartney everything just made that much more sense.